Voted at GrogHeads 2012 Readers’ Choice Game of the Year Award as:
Digital Strategic Wargame of the Year, gold medal, first place!
Commander: The Great War is the third in a series of high level turn based strategy games. Developed by The Lordz Games Studio, it features a brand new engine and countless new features, while staying faithful to the original games design philosophy. The game spans the First World War, allowing players to control the Central Powers or the Entente Allies through the entire conflict.
At the heart of the conflict, when men were fighting for every inch of land, only visionary leaders could make the choices that would lead their troops to victory. The remarkable sequence of events that inexorably led to The Great War and the names of these leaders are written in our history books and pictured in our movies. Now a turn-based strategy game captures this time of war with unprecedented realism and accuracy.
Commander: The Great War is the latest release in the popular Commander series to bring the thrill, excitement and mind-breaking decision making of these difficult times to life.
A completely new engine runs faster and allows players to enjoy the epic hex based campaign map in full wide screen. Slitherines revolutionary play by e-mail system will also bring a whole new level of excitement in Multiplayer battles.
- A huge hex based campaign map that stretches from the USA in the west, Africa and Arabia to the south, Scandinavia to the north and the Urals to the east.
- 5 Grand Campaigns, each starting in a different year of the war, at the start of a historical offensive: 1914 The Great War, 1915 Ypres – Artois, 1916 The Battle of Verdun, 1917 The Nivelle Offensive and 1918 The Kaiserschlacht.
- Over 40 unique historical and “what-if” events triggered by conditions on the campaignmap.
- 18 different unit types including Infantry, Cavalry, Armoured Cars and Tanks, Artillery, Railroad Guns and Armoured Trains, Cruisers, Submarines and Battleships, Fighters, Bombers and Airships. Each has its own strengths and weaknesses, based on their historical performance in the various theatres throughout the war.
- Attach historical Commanders to your units. Each has their own specific strengths, so decide wisely which Commander is most suited to which front. Three types of Commanders are available: Generals for ground units, Admirals at sea and flying Aces to strengthen your air units.
- Invest in research and technology to improve your units. Aircraft evolve from fragile tools of aerial observation to deadly ground and air attack planes. Artillery barrages become ever more accurate and powerful. Or focus on Armour technology and unleash a dreadful new weapon on the battlefield: the Tank.
- Detailed and realistic combat that models supply, morale, terrain, leadership, equipment, training and fog of war.
- Multiplayer via Slitherine’s revolutionary PBEM++ server system.
- Easy to learn, hard to master game play.
- An all new engine, supporting any display resolution from 1024×600 upwards and includes full wide screen support.
- Extreme moddability using the lua scripting language, allowing players to alter many aspects of gameplay including combat, research, unit statistics, terrain effects and many more.
OS: Windows XP
Processor: Pentium 4
RAM: 1 GB for XP or 2GB for Vista/7
Video Card: With OpenGL 1.5 support (GeForce FX / Radeon R300)
Hard Drive: 800MB free space
12th of November 2012
PC released in November 2012, Mac and iPad are following Q3 2013
English, German, French and Italian
Server based PBEM++
Digital Release with DVD on Demand option
Manual: PDF E-Book, Colour Printed
Unit Scale: Corps to Army
Time frame: World War 1
Tip: if necessary use Google Translate or similar.
First review of Commander: The Great War from 7idgaming (German), gives a 84%!
CTGW review at 7idgaming (84%)
Who would have guessed. A clear candidate for the award “Best Wargame 2012.” The game can be recommended to any strategy game fan, and not just pure world war wargamers.
Next review of Commander: The Great war from Strategyprime 4/5 stars!
Overall, it is a recommendable title, well worth trying out.
Rock, Paper, Shotgun likes Commander: The Great War!
I’m about halfway through my first 118-turn Commander: The Great War campaign at present, and can’t recall enjoying a grand-strategic WWI title more. Lordz seem to have judged the scale, pace and workload just about perfectly.
Commander The Great War review at The Wargamer.
It is also highly addictive and fun to play, (I’m always a bit leery of using words like fun in conjunction with wargaming) but all credit to The Lordz Studios/Slitherine/Matrix. They have produced a great title, and one that is extremely enjoyable. My advice is to go and buy if you are interested; you are going to be in for a bumpy but fantastic and immensely fulfilling ride!
The developers worked hard to integrate innovative concepts in a proven system. The Great War is very well depicted and the game will please both the newcomers and the expert wargamers.
To summarize my summary, if you are a fan of strategy games, I believe this is one that must not be passed up on. Play it, learn it, then dominate in Commander – The Great War!
I was quite fast showing an addictive behavior, so I can heartily recommend Commander: The Great War to any passionate PC general.
I have wanted a Great War wargame for some time now. Those currently on the market just did not appeal to me. I had a feeling this would be the game to fill that void. Man on man was my gut feeling right on the mark.
Commander: The Great War certainly (and rightly so) feels more like arm-wrestling than a graceful sword duel. Yet for anyone who has grown tired of years of panzers, blitzkrieg, Stalingrad and Normandy, this game should be just the ticket.
CTGW review at Caponier (8/10)
In general, Commander: The Great War is a must-try all who love turn-based wargames of this type, and anyone interested in the First World theme.
It is a fantastic, vast, enjoyable, addictive game to play.